Sunday, February 15, 2009

Day 130/365 - Sunshine on the Rocks



This is the outdoor ice skating rink at the Pentagon Row shopping district. They put it up every winter and then in summer they tear it down and have bands play happy hour concerts here instead. I was over in this part of my neighborhood today because I needed to get birthday cards for my folks and pick up a couple sweaters and some thick socks to take with me on my trip. At this time next week I'll be wending my way eastward to Venice!

The way the sunlight is stretching across the ice in this photo makes me think of the McBroom books by Sid Fleischman that I read when I was a kid. They were the fantastically tall tales of a farmer and his family. In one of the stories it was so cold one winter that daylight froze and they cut it into chunks and stored it in the icehouse. That way when they needed some sunshine to make the crops grow they could just thaw out a chunk of frozen light and they were good to go.

I remember laughing myself silly over those books. Did anyone else read them?

(Taken with my Nikon Coolpix S200)

No comments: