Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Day 13/365 - My Grindstone



This is where I work. I’m an attorney for a small (and generally ignored) agency of the U.S. Federal government. It’s not as sexy or important as some of the big agencies are, but it’s not a terrible place to work. The pay is good, the people are nice, and the work doesn’t drive me crazy or make me miserable. That’s really all I’m looking for in a job.

I’ve never understood why some people invest so much of their self-image into their job, or why they expect fulfillment or affirmation from their work. For me, a job is just that -- a job. It’s a means to an end and a way to pay the bills. If work was wonderful, they wouldn’t have to pay you to do it.

I show up, I do my work, they pay me, and I go home and do the stuff I really enjoy and that I find stimulating and fulfilling. Work isn’t Disneyland, it’s my ticket to Disneyland.

(Taken with my Nikon Coolpix S200)

No comments: