Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Day 112/365 - All Bundled Up



For this week's self-portrait we have me all bundled to brave the cold. From the looks of things you'd think I was going to mush a team of huskies across the tundra, but I was just ambling down to the Corner Bakery Cafe to grab some breakfast and read the paper.

Today was an 'unscheduled leave' day for the Federal government. That means you can just up and take the day off if you want on account of the icy weather (and the fact that nearly all the local school districts are closed), but you'll get charged for a day of vacation time. Seemed like a fair trade to me today, so I decided to play hooky.

Between now and the end of the year I have to use up approximately 115 hours of vacation time or I'll lose it. Even with the Venice trip next month I'll still have over 70 hours of annual leave to spend. My niece's wedding in Texas in May will take some of that, as will the Alaskan cruise my bro wants to go on in June, and the rest I'll probably squander in dribs and drabs like today.

Now I think it's time to pop my fireplace DVD in the player, settle down in my big comfy armchair with a mug of hot chocolate, listen to my Time-Life Big Band CDs, and read some old "Terry and the Pirates" comic strips from 1939.

It's good to be the king.

(Taken with my Nikon Coolpix S200)

No comments: