Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Day 90/365 - You Say You Want A Resolution



I don't normally make resolutions. It's something I've never seen the point of, really. Most resolutions just involve things you should probably be doing already anyhow. I guess maybe packaging them up as New Year's resolutions though does provide an added bit of motivation to help you get over the hump and bust loose from the hold of inertia.

This year I decided to break with my lack of tradition and set a New Year's resolution for myself. I decided to recycle more. For the last several years, the only thing I've recycled are my newspapers. Everything else just went in the trash. Last weekend, however, I took one of my many Bed Bath & Beyond coupons (which don't expire btw, despite what they may have printed on them) off to the store with me and bought myself a double-sided recycling bin to put in my kitchen. Paper on the blue side, bottles/jugs/cans on the green side.

Now I have to rinse out the bottles and cans though before I stick them in the bin in order to avoid a sticky, smelly, moldy mess. That means I'm using more water than I was before. So I've lessened my ecological impact in one regard but increased it somewhat in another. I guess there's no real way to "do no harm."

As ever, life is a series of trade-offs.

(Taken with my Nikon Coolpix S200)

No comments: