Sunday, September 13, 2009

Day 340/365 - Not My Normal Sunday



Given the stack of files I still have piled up on my desk that have to be cleared by the end of the month, I thought I should probably go into the office this weekend to whittle them down a bit. It's Sunday, the Nats were playing the Marlins, it's the first weekend of football season, it was sunny and gorgeous outside, and I was sitting in my office doing work. Bleh. To make it even more enjoyable, they shut off the ventilation in the building over the weekend to save money so it was hot and stuffy in my office. Good thing I wore shorts. Can't do that on a regular work day.

At least I got to listen to the Nats game on the radio while I worked. I stayed for three hours, knocked out ten grant packages, decided that was enough, and left. Given the gorgeousity going on outside, I opted for walking home rather than taking Metro. It was a nice little reward. On the walk home, I detoured over to the floating fish market on Maine Avenue to treat myself to a late lunch.

The floating fish market is a cluster of barges at the southwest waterfront in DC. It's the oldest continuously operating fish market in the U.S., having been there since 1805. The barges offer a wide variety of fresh fish and seafood, along with cooked meals. Today I went with a combo platter featuring two whiting filets, three scallops, hush puppies, and cole slaw. That and a large lemonade set me back $15.

The combo meals come with 3-4 slices of white bread, which I've never really understood and don't eat, but I do enjoy tearing them up into chunks and feeding them to the ducks, seagulls, and pigeons that cluster around the fish market. After lunch, I continued on my walk, took some time to stretch out on the grass under a shade tree overlooking the Potomac River, and then got home, flopped on the couch, and took a two hour nap. Now that was more like my normal Sunday.

(Taken with my Nikon Coolpix S200)

No comments: