Monday, March 16, 2009

Day 159/365 - The Modern Prometheus



Not much in the way of backstory about today's shot. I was walking to the subway station this morning and saw these guys repairing the light fixture on the underside of the overpass. I thought the way they were silhouetted looked pretty cool, as did their extendible platform thingee, so I decided to take a photo.

Given that there were two workmen maybe the title should be Promethei instead, like octopi and rhinoceri. It always bugs me when reporters on tv who are covering Wall Street refer to the stock "indexes" rather than "indices" or someone says "appendixes" instead of "appendices." I'm all for inventing new words and stretching the meaning of old ones. The more expressive we can make our language, the better. But I hate when we lose existing words and unfortunately it looks like "indices" and "appendices" are rapidly fading into obscurity.

I guess I'm just word greedy.

(Taken with my Nikon Coolpix S200)

No comments: