Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Day 160/365 - Happy St. Patty's Day



I'm not Irish, but my first name is. It can mean either "of comely birth" or "noble, gentle, kind, and loveable." I've seen it translated both ways. I'm not sure how accurate either actually is as it relates to me. Originally my name was spelled Coemgen and it dates to at least the 5th century AD. That's when my name made its first recorded appearance in the annals of history with the arrival on the scene of Saint Kevin of Ireland.

He was an interesting character. He was a holy man who could reportedly talk to animals. He also founded a monastery but when the job of being in charge got to be too much for him he ran away and became a hermit who lived in a cave in the woods. The monks eventually tracked him down and pleaded with him to come back, but he wasn't having any of it. He did agree to let them visit him in his cave from time to time to consult with him, though.

I remember reading about him in college when I had some time to kill between classes one day and looked up my name in the library. Once I read about what a quirky introvert he was I thought "Yep, he was a Kevin alright."

Today has to be the Guinness Brewing Company's favorite day of the year, much as the Corona people have to love Cinco de Mayo. Pizza companies and Italian breweries need to get together and start pushing Columbus Day as the next ethnic food and excessive beer drinking holiday.

(Taken with my Nikon Coolpix S200)

No comments: