Monday, March 23, 2009

Day 166/365 - Oh Noes!



For this week's self-portrait we have documentary proof of me being forced to amuse myself due to the fact that my cable is out. I look like an African tribal version of Mr. Bill here. I ordered this mask from a catalog years and years ago and I think it came from Ghana, but I can't remember for sure. It looks cool hanging on the wall but it sucks as an actual mask because, unless you have a hammerhead shark somewhere in your family tree, the eyeholes are wayyyyyyy too far apart.

Getting back to my lack of cable miseries, apparently the line running to my apartment has been cut somewhere. The cable was out when I woke up yesterday morning and when I called it in they scheduled to have a technician come by this afternoon. Perfect, not a prob. My boss is really cool and understanding so I just went into the office this morning, picked up some files, and told him I'd be working at home.

So then the technician comes, plugs a monitoring device into my cable socket, and then tells me the line has been cut somewhere and there's no signal coming to my apartment. Yeah, I kinda figured out that last part for myself when both my tv sets had black screens. Unfortunately, wiring issues are handled by people in another division so there's nothing he can do but report it to HQ and then they'll send the wiring folks to look into it and they'll be in contact to schedule a convenient time for me if they need to enter my apartment, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Thanks, Comcast!

In fairness, the technician guy was on time and he was really nice and he apologized for the fact that I'd basically stayed home for nothing. I think I'd have felt better if he'd been late and been obnoxious. Then I could've vented my spleen on him.

So in the meanwhile I'm stuck with no cable and no one to really be mad at, apart from the mysterious saboteur who apparently cut or unplugged the cable line somewhere between where it enters the building on the roof and where it reaches my apartment ten floors later.

Oh well, at least I'll be able to watch tonight's episode of '24' on-line. Assuming the DSL doesn't suddenly go out as well, anyhow.

(Taken with my Nikon Coolpix S200)

No comments: