Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Day 210/365 - Crosswalk Symplegades



Today was the first day in a while that I've been able to go for a walk on the Mall during lunch. Nine straight days of rain can certainly put a crimp in your style. The cab and the car and the pedestrians in between in this shot make me think of the story of Jason and the Argonauts. On their way to pilfer the Golden Fleece, the Argonauts had to pass between a pair of clashing rocks called the Symplegades. The rocks stood at either side of a narrow passage and would slam together whenever a ship passed between them, thereby crushing all interlopers.

Jason and the boys got around that by sending a bird through first and then, before the rocks had a chance to fully reset after slamming shut, they rowed like hell and made it through. I loved reading books about Greek mythology when I was a kid. Little heathen that I was, I found them far more entertaining than Sunday school stories. The parable of the prodigal son doesn't have quite the same pizzazz as tales of minotaurs, gorgons, and krakens -- although I would pay to see Samson and Hercules in an arm wrestling match.

(Taken with my Nikon Coolpix S200)

No comments: