Saturday, May 9, 2009

Day 213/365 - National Train Day



Today was National Train Day in the U.S., although most people probably weren't aware of that fact. Amtrak held celebrations in DC, NYC, Chicago, and somewhere on the West Coast. The DC festivities were held at Union Station. They have model trains, real trains you can tour, and various other activities.

I think last year's Train Day was better. They had more historic trains you could walk through last year, including a really cool old streamlined train. This year it was mostly contemporary rolling stock from Amtrak and local commuter rail lines MARC and VRE. They did have an old Pullman car from the 1930s though, and the railcar Obama and Biden rode into DC for the inauguration. You couldn't walk through that one. You just had to peer through the windows.

I love trains, even though I don't really know much about them. My friend Chris and I have decided that if either of us ever wins the lottery we will put together a huge model train set-up that replicates various regions of the U.S. I've never owned a model train. My brother had one when I was little that made actual smoke. I remember thinking that was pretty cool.

(Taken with my Nikon D90)

No comments: