Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 275/365 - Beach Nut



This shot wasn't taken anywhere remotely near a beach, unfortunately. It was taken alongside the Mt. Vernon Trail near Reagan National Airport across the river from Washington, DC. I've got a serious case of beach jones at the moment. I haven't been to the beach since I went to San Diego last summer, and I'm jonesing hardcore for sand, sun, and surf.

I've been browsing the web, skimming magazines, and asking friends for recommendations, but I still haven't found my sure thing yet. Key West, Sanibel Island, Bermuda, Barbados, and even possibly Cape Verde are all still on the table. The last one is a dark horse candidate at the moment, however, given that ideally I want to go somewhere within a couple hours flying time.

I don't want to go to a big city or party beach and I don't want to stay at a plush resort or trendy hotel. I just want to find myself a bungalow/cottage at a mellow, laid back beach and not do much of anything. Basically I want to spend 3-4 days living inside a Corona beer commercial. I want there to be a small, cozy town nearby so I can go get a drink or something to eat if I feel like it and some walking/biking paths to explore.

I want to lay in a hammock, sit in a beach chair, stare at the tide, soak up the sun, read, and listen to music. That's my alchemical formula. I don't figure on going until the middle of next month, so I've still got some time to figure things out. Hurricane season could certainly complicate matters, though.

Sigh...

(Taken with my Nikon Coolpix S200)

No comments: