Saturday, July 11, 2009

Day 276/365 - Generic Sign Project



I've recently started something I call my Generic Sign Project (GSP). I'm probably the only person in the world who would find this project interesting, but essentially it involves taking photos of random, isolated words on signs. The rules are still evolving, but so far I've decided that it has to be a noun, it can only be a single word or short phrase, no other letters/numerals/words can appear in the shot, homemade signs don't count, no shots that are too cheap/easy (i.e., stop or men's room signs), no proper nouns, it can't too obviously be part of a larger sign, and no post-production trickery like airbrushing is allowed (although cropping is fine).

It's proving to be kind of fun. Not "oh wow, this is so awesome" kind of fun, but "hmm, this is sort of interesting" kind of fun. I guess it appeals to my collector instincts. It's a bit like a photo scavenger hunt or urban/suburban safari, although I'll grant you that venturing forth into the dark, primeval suburbs to stalk the deadly and elusive noun likely doesn't hold quite the same thrill as lion hunting.

Today I walked around my neighborhood checking the signs for stray nouns to collect and this was my favorite of the ones I found. It's the sign for a women's clothing boutique called Gossip. The GSP photos look a bit odd when viewed all together, almost as though they are a ransom note composed of words cut from newspapers or one of those magnetic poetry sets. Eventually I may broaden my photographic vocabulary and include verbs and other parts of speech or perhaps single letters, but right now I'm cool with just shooting nouns.

(Taken with my Nikon D90)

No comments: